You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
User:Dvorapa/Toolforge for beginners/Getting started
We understand that you want to start your tool immediately, but first we need to cover three main topics: an account creation, tool creation and computer set up.
Wikimedia developer account
In order to create your first tool, you will need a Wikimedia developer account. If you've already used Wikitech or Gerrit before, you already have one. It can be created using your Wikimedia account by following these steps:
- Go to the Toolforge admin console.
- In the Login with your Wikimedia account box press the Login using Wikimedia account button.
- You will be taken to a Wikimedia account login screen.
- Enter your Wikimedia account username and password.
- Once you are logged into your Wikimedia account, you will return to the Toolforge admin console.
- You will be prompted to create an LDAP username, a UNIX shell username, and password. You will also be prompted to enter your email address and agree to the terms of service and code of conduct for technical spaces.
- The LDAP username will be used to log in on Wikitech, Gerrit and the Toolforge admin console.
- The UNIX shell username will be used to interact with servers via ssh and for Gerrit.
- Finally create your Wikitech account.
Once you have a Wikimedia developer account, you have to apply for a Toolforge membership by following these steps:
- Submit a Toolforge project membership request.
- Wait for membership approval.
- Your request will be reviewed, and you will receive confirmation within a week. You will be notified through your Wikitech user account that you have been added to the project.
- Once you are added as a Toolforge member you must logout and then login again at https://toolsadmin.wikimedia.org/ for your membership to take effect.
- Finally you can access the Toolforge project and create your first tool.