You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
Talk:Main Page/Archive 1
|Please do not post any new comments on this page. This is a discussion archive See current discussion.|
Hmm... OK, I can't find a proper place to e-mail this... so here's my e-mail pasted here. Revert at will, but I'd think having a pointer on where to report emergencies should be somewhere on wp.wikidev.net. Message:
From: Jesse Adelman (firstname.lastname@example.org) aka NightMonkey on WikiPedia/WikiDev
To: Some Admin at Wikipedia
Subject: FYI: Disk space on yongle critical
Hi. As Wikipedia has slowed to a crawl since being slashdotted (and finally having MySQL connection issues), I've been watching the Ganglia. I know that people must be working on things, but just in case you didn't see it...it appears that yongle is quickly running out of disk space:
Also, it appears to be having other interesting statistical anomalies today (mem_*, bytes_out).
P.S. I tried to find an "email@example.com" or similar address - but this is the best I could find. Apologies if it is incorrect.
--NightMonkey 04:17, 29 Jul 2004 (UTC)
- Thanks. Being looked at.:) MySQL on Ariel got a signal 11 and stopped. Restarted happily on request. Jamesday 05:27, 29 Jul 2004 (UTC)
Before I forget about it, thought I'd jot it down: the wprc IRC bot produces broken URLs for pages that include a slash in the title (like User:Brion/Tilde bug). It uses %2F, which for some reason results in 404 errors o' death. -- Brion 05:22, 5 Aug 2004 (UTC)
Will Larousse and its predeccessor be kept in storage? I know the first server Google was on is in some computer museum now, I'm sure we could find an archival home for our history. -- user:zanimum
-- Actually I fixed a bad fan and swapped out the bad drive and was going to put it back into service. Perfectly good server. -- user:Solar
I know its in the ToDo list to fix the webalizer.
- We noticed that by a lack of statistics mostly about the frontpage and side entrys to , people tend to ad external commercial statcounters like statcounter.com and extremetech.com.
- External counters records IP numbers from visitors and the anonimity of the users on wikipedia is gone.
- We removed some and are still looking for script to detect the stats scripts, that can search on "hidden" and "invisible"
Request: is it possible for the mean time to install PHP stats , like bbclone on the servers ?
Reg: mion Mion 09:58, 14 February 2006 (PST) firstname.lastname@example.org
SUN Fire T1000 Servers
I found this SUN machine to be very appropriate for Apache servers, since it's made to handle multi threaded environments, I was thrilled by the benchmarks, Take a look at this address: http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/t1000/benchmarks.jsp#b , Wikimedia might want to purchase these systems for their next hardware upgrade as these are VERY cost effective and perorm much faster than equaivalent hardware in its price range.
- we are already evaluating the T2000. So far it has not been nearly as fast for us as the benchmarks claim, but we're working with some PAE people from Sun to see if we can fix this. more details: http://community.livejournal.com/wikitech/16665.html?nc=7. k.
I wanted some simple but nice message boxes in here, and this looks nice to have: mw:Template:Mbox. It is a meta-template though, and it may require quite a few template pages to be copy/pasted over from mediawiki.org. Or is there a better way to get it? Like it? Dzahn 09:50, 11 April 2012 (UTC)