You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
Planning and executing a DC switchover in a non-emergency requires coordinating between various SRE subteams, RelEng, CommRel and others. While we aim to make this a non-event from a user perspective, we're not there yet from an operational perspective.
Ideally this should be started 2 months before the desired date.
- Check the WMF Staff Calendar, global holidays and the deployment yearly calendar for potential conflicts.
- Ask the DBA, DCOps, RelEng, Network Engineering in Infrastructure Foundations and CommRel teams to verify the date works with them.
- Do this scheduling a kickoff meeting including representatives from the affected teams, where a range of dates can be proposed for the switchover and the switchback. Followup with them and set a final date the next week.
- Create a Phabricator task (e.g. T281515) and update the Switch Datacenter page with the schedule (use zonestamp links for convenience).
- Typically: Services Monday 14:00 UTC, Traffic Monday 15:00 UTC, MediaWiki Tuesday 14:00 UTC
- Same for the switchback: Services Monday 14:00 UTC, Traffic Monday 15:00 UTC, MediaWiki Tuesday 14:00 UTC
- Typically 6+ weeks later
- Announce to email@example.com as a tentative date and invite comments and concerns, allow for 1 week of comments
- Announce dates on wikitech-l and ops mailing lists.
- Send calendar invitations to srewikimedia.org.
- Add the date and times in the SRE Monday Update under the Service Interuptions - Any other maintenance and expansions? heading
- Once the week is listed on the Deployment calendar, add the events there (example)
2 weeks before the selected date: