You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
Portal:Toolforge/Ongoing Efforts/Toolforge Build Service
Toolforge Build Service Project
The Toolforge Build Service project aims to enable Toolforge users to deploy and update their projects without relying on the underlying implementation. It will achieve this goal by technically decoupling service and implementation providing a more stable interface.
For users, this means setting up a project will be simpler, faster, and require no in-depth, technical knowledge about how our services work and will experience less interruptions and migrations due to the infrastructure evolution.
For the WMCS team, the project will help decouple Toolforge from NFS, enabling them to deploy container images with user code directly instead of sharing that code through NFS. This in turn will get the team closer to making the service independent from NFS and its problems (scaling, maintenance, sensitivity to errors).
If the goal is reached, users will be able to:
- Push their code using git and see that code being deployed on Toolforge.
- Set this up easily.
- Avoid needing any knowledge of how it happens (currently Kubernetes and custom Toolforge tweaks).
- Get their own code built using widely adopted industry standards, like buildpacks.
See Toolforge build to deploy and Toolforge Buildpack Implementation for more information on the past efforts for the project.
Report a bug
If you're encountering any issues, you can use this Phabricator template to file a bug report. Just make sure to be as detailed as possible in your description, including any error screenshots that may help explain the problem.
Communication and support
Support and administration of the WMCS resources is provided by the Wikimedia Foundation Cloud Services team and Wikimedia Movement volunteers. Please reach out with questions and join the conversation:
- Chat in real time in the IRC channel #wikimedia-cloud connect, the bridged Telegram group, or the bridged Mattermost channel
- Discuss via email after you subscribed to the cloud@ mailing list