You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
This page is the user guide for Kibana at WMF. For information about its operation, see Logstash.
- Logs from MediaWiki end up here. E.g.
wfDebugLog( 'Flow', ...)in MediaWiki PHP corresponds to
type:mediawiki AND channel:Flow
- For more about how to do that within works MediaWiki, see mw:Structured logging.
- Start from one of the blue Dashboard links near the top, more are available from the Load icon near the top right.
- In "Events over time" click and drag to zoom in to a specific region.
- On the top right, you can change the time range to start with, e.g. last 24 hours, last 7 days. Smaller ranges are faster.
- If you get lost, start again from the homepage at https://logstash.wikimedia.org/
MediaWiki dashboard template
The Home page is itself also dashboard. It has a single text panel with a Markdown list of links. Add your own for easy access!
Don't crash your browser:
- Never click "Add filter". Instead, click the a magnifying glass in one of the entries for the field you want to filterr on. Then modify the filter as needed. This because loading the dropdown menu for available JSON keys generally crashes the browser.
- If you see no events at all, perhaps you are querying the future only?
- If you see no results or the results seem unrelated, press the magnifying glass at right of the main query bar to submit again. There is a race condition where if you modify the query while it is running, it ends up re-submitting the last completed query instead of the one you just wrote.
- If you see events suddenly stop, perhaps the query includes the future (e.g. "Today" and "This week" instead of "Last 24h" or "Last week").
- If you think you found when results first started to match your query, double check if it aligns with "today - 90 days ago" which is our message retention.
- The visualisation panels are re-usable and thus saved globally.
- Avoid changing existing visualisations unless intending to change other dashboards that use it at the same time. Otherwise "Save as.." under a new name first.