You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
When caching of constraint check results was enabled on Wikidata,
some API requests would trigger SQL queries on the
text tables without any
This resulted in extremely high server load of general-purpose replica servers in s8.
All times in UTC.
- 14:22 – zeljkof deploys to mwdebug1002 as part of SWAT.
- 14:22-14:26 – Lucas Werkmeister (Lucas_WMDE) tests the change on Wikidata. It seems to work as expected – successive calls of
wbcheckconstraintson the same entity are much faster, since the result is read from cache.
- 14:27 – Lucas Werkmeister (Lucas_WMDE) reports back to zeljkof and confirms the change is ready to deploy.
- 14:28 – zeljkof deploys the change.
- 14:28 – eth0 traffic on db1109 immediately begins to grow, crossing 600 Mbps within the next ten minutes (the normal level is around 50 Mbps) – see Grafana. db1092 and db1104 are also affected. CPU load, number of running processes, and disk I/O also increase accordingly. However, according to jynus,
the slowdown was slow to buildup, so it was not detected by monitoring immediately.
- 17:24 – marostegui and jynus comment on phabricator:T184812, pointing to the massive spike in Wikidata replicas (Grafana).
- 17:34 – jynus
deploying new query killer to db1109.
- 17:41 – Chad deploys a revert of the config change (log entry (stashbot failed to log this and some other messages around that time to wiki) ).
- 17:41 – eth0 traffic, CPU load etc. begin to drop again (Grafana).
- 17:41 – jynus
I am going to kill [queries?] [a]gain to see they don't come back
- 17:44 – eth0 traffic, CPU load etc. back to normal levels (Grafana).
- 17:45 – jynus
things seem under control
Due to a logic bug (phabricator:T188384), WikibaseQualityConstraints’
CachingResultsBuilder asked Wikibase’
WikiPageEntityMetaDataLookup for the latest revision information of an empty list of entities. The
WikiPageEntityMetaDataLookup had a special safeguard (added in ) for this case to avoid costly queries, adding a condition
Database::selectSQLText actually turns this condition into a query with no
WHERE clause (instead of something like
WHERE FALSE, which
WikiPageEntityMetaDataLookup probably intended). WikibaseQualityConstraints should pay more attention to special cases when requesting entity IDs (empty list, long list); Wikibase should make sure that safeguards actually work as intended; and core should not let simple programming errors result in completely unlimited queries.
It is also problematic that the incident apparently went undetected for almost three hours, even though it was visible in Grafana within minutes of deployment, but I don’t know why this was possible, or what should have prevented it.
- WikibaseQualityConstraints: only filter for result statuses after collecting metadata. phab:T188384
- WikibaseQualityConstraints: don’t pass an empty list of entity IDs to the
- WikibaseQualityConstraints: don’t pass overly long lists of entity IDs there, either. phab:T188312
- WikibaseQualityConstraints + Wikibase: don’t join
textwhen we just need
- Wikibase: fix the safeguard for an empty list of conditions in
- core: only
$conds = should result in a missing
WHEREclause, not any other value that is
emptyaccording to the PHP empty function. phab:T188314
- monitoring: detect high server load earlier – jynus
a prometheus alert would be nicephab:T188317