You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
This is the homepage for fundraising-tech documentation. If you can't find what you are looking from from here then take a look at our documentation plan and add the appropriate header & links.
Note that much of the content on this page should be moved to linked pages.
- If you want to understand what fr-tech does, who we are and how to contact us head over to mw:Fundraising tech
- There is some information on this page - Fundraising Software Development. - that needs to be migrated onto this main page
The following Mediawiki extensions related to fundraising are installed on the payments wiki:
Renders donation forms and handles donor interaction, redirecting donors to payment processors when necessary and then either presenting an error or redirecting to a thank you page.
Extension documentation on mediawiki.org
Allows a donor to unsubscribe from fundraising-related emails.
Extension documentation on mediawiki.org
Fundraiser Landing Page
We export some extremely aggregated datasets at https://frdata.wikimedia.org/, generated every half hour by the public_data_export process-control job running the fundraiser_public_data_export and fundraiser_public_data_mover child jobs.
fundraiser_public_data_export runs the FundraiserStatisticsGen/fundstatgen.py script from the tools repo, then fundraiser_public_data_mover just rsyncs the data to the frdata server.
legacy DonationForm - reusable frontend
Email Preference Center
Donor Data Delivery Tool
WMF fundraising uses CiviCRM to track donor data.
End of year emails
We manually send these in early January, summarising all donations for the year, broken into Endowment & Foundation. See technical details
Matching Gifts HEP Integration
We get data from HEP with information on companies that match donations.
Deployment Instructions here
Cluster layout, deployment, codebases
Jobs for analytics processing run on
fran1001. The primary database server for analytics data is
frdb1003. Jobs include:
- DjangoBannerStats, a legacy python codebase that ingresses data about banner impressions and Donate Wiki landing page impressions to the pgehres database. For details, see Stats pipeline documentation.
Data and flow
- Routes donors to the correct payment processor based on the country, currency, and payment method.
- Incoming links from donatewiki and banners hit this special page on paymentswiki rather than going directly to individual gateways
- This allows us to disable a gateway on paymentswiki and have traffic flow immediately to the backup
We have the ability to use several payment processors for online donations. Currently, we route most credit card donations to Adyen.
- Adyen - Main credit card processor, also has iDEAL, ApplePay, and GooglePay
- Amazon - A widget on our page, integrated using Login and Pay with Amazon.
- dLocal - A payment processor specializing in the local payment methods of South America and India
- Ingenico - Ingenico has the ability to handle payments from multiple international systems including: credit card, direct debit, real time bank transfer, eWallets and more. We're currently only using them for cards.
See also, Ways to Give for our recommended donation methods according to country.
Instant Payment Notification (IPN) Listener
Email integration - Acoustic (Also known as Silverpop)
Acoustic is the service we use to send out bulk emails. They are able to handle high volumes of emails and are responsible for managing server reputation to improve deliverability. Acoustic also provide tools for A-B testing to see which emails perform better. In order to be able to use our donor information from Acoustic we have a nightly upload job. We also re-import information from acoustic - for details go to Fundraising/Data and Integrated Processes/Acoustic Integration
Note that prior brandings of the Acoustic platform may still linger - ie Silverpop, WCM, Watson Campaign Manager, or sometimes just 'IBM'
Refer to docs at https://collab.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/Engineering/Fraud
Fail mail refers to the emails received by fr-tech when proesses fall over. Diagnositic details are in the Failmail zoo
How we work (Team Processes)
Fundraising Tech is a Scrum team. We use Phabricator to manage our backlog and we work in 2-week sprints.
Fundraising Engineering Documentation has with system information and emergency response protocols. Or more specifically Shutting the pipeline down details how/when to disable banner campaigns or other fundraising/payment services.
Fundraising On-Call documentation
See on-call documentation for instructions for on-call duty.
Feature / Bug Trackers
There's loads of information about how fr-tech triages bugs at Fundraising/Bug Triaging Not sure what to do next? See Fundraising Tech's Phabricator Workboard
Payment Card Industry rules we have to follow to keep accepting credit cards.
Local setup for cluster SSH access