You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The primary site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
Common Datacenter Specifications
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page will outline our preferred specifications for use in datacenters.
- We prefer to provide our own enclosures, as well as everything within those enclosures (including power strips).
- We prefer a caged deployment over a shared row deployment.
|Red||Cat5e||Out of Band Access|
|Yellow||9/125 Singlemode Fiber||All fiber connections|
- Fiber note: LC to LC in rack, SC to LC for peer/transit links.
- Cabling Notes:
- We use pre-made patches in rack (5'/7'/10') for mgmt and production network.
- We use custom on-site assembled patches for serial.
- These are nearly always cross-rack and must be custom measured.
- The pin out differs to work for serial console (cisco/juniper/netapp/sun) without an adapter:
- End Device Side: 568B
- Serial Console Side: pin 4 white-green, pin 5 green, pin 6 blue (remainder immaterial)
- Gear Mounted Top of Rack
- 12 3M Fiber or 12 10' CAT6 Ethernet Cable
- 24 2M Fiber or 24 7' CAT6 Ethernet Cable
- 5 1M Fiber or 5 5' CAT6 Ethernet Cable
- Gear Mounted Mid-Rack
- 10 1M Fiber or 10 5' CAT6 Ethernet Cable
- 32 2M Fiber or 32 7' CAT6 Ethernet Cable
US Based Sites
- 208V 3 Phase power @ 30 Amps - Two circuits per enclosure for redundancy.
- Sites in use: eqiad, sdtpa (not all racks redundant power)
- Power connector used for 30AMP 3Phase is NEMA L21-30P(plug) / L21-30R(eceptacle).
- Sites not in use: pmtpa (208V 3 Phase @ 20 Amps, redundant) & ULSFO(redundant).
- Power connector used for 20AMP 3Phase is NEMA NEMA L21-20P(plug) / L21-20R(eceptacle).
- ServerTech 0U SMART PDU
- 42 c13 power ports per feed for a total of 84 ports.
- Model: CS-84VDY-L2130
- Also have to order (2) EMTH-1-1 to have two temp/humidity leads, and one Kit-MB-01 (two button mount kit - can use Rittal equivalent)
- In our present deployments, we use SMART over SWITCHED due to the higher possible rate of failure of the switched power ports over non-switched power ports.
- We have a rack with switched power, due to legacy equipment that could not out of band power cycle; though now none of that hardware is still in service.
- RobH thinks we may need to re-investigate the failure rates on switched power, and possibly use it more, since it can be used to remotely clear service processors out of unrecoverable error states,
- Power cords for servers are c13/c14 type.
- Rittal TS-8 Enclosure
- Rittal 9962172
- Sheet Steel, 800MM W by 2200MM H by 1050MM D. Sand Texture, Black, Perforated front/rear doors, standard rear wall/door, perforated with 4 round cable entry in roof.
- We have to get three kinds, right side end of row, left side end of row, and enclosures within the row.
- Inner enclosure: partition wall left side
- Right end enclosure: partition left, sidewall right
- Left end enclosure: sidewall left
- Rittal TS - External Baying Connector
- Rittal 8800490
- One kit gangs together two enclosures
- Rittal Roof Mount Cable Manager for 32" Wide TS Enclosure
- Rittal 9970016
- Rittal Cable D Rings
- Rittal 7111900
- 4.7" x 3.5", pack of 10
- Rittal Button Mount Brackets
- Rittal 9971067
- Core Routers
- Juniper MX80 (Caching Sites)
- Juniper MX480 (Primary Sites)
- Out of Band Access
- Juniper SRX100B
- Central Management Switch
- Juniper EX4200-48T
- Rack-level Access Switches
- Juniper EX4200-48T - for non-10G racks
- Juniper EX4550 - for 10G racks
- Juniper sfp+ Uplink Modules for EX4200
- Rack-level Management Switches
- Central mgmt switch handles one connection to each rack, rack mgmt switch can be stupid.
- Netgear FS750T2 - 48 port switch
- We use as a dumb switch, we don't configure anything.
- XFP: Finisar FTLX1412M3BCL
- SFP+: Finisar FTLX1471D3BCL
- SFP-T: Memorydealers SFP-1GE-FE-E-T-MD
- Opengear CM4148
- 48 port serial console server
- We attach serial to every power strip and every bit of network kit (excluding the rack level mgmt switches)
- Axis P1344 IP Camera