You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
Wikidata Percent Usage Dashboard
The working definition of "a page that makes use of Wikidata" in this project is the following one:
- we consider only pages in namespace = 0, and no redirects;
- Wikidata (WD) usage upon which the reported data are based excludes Sitelinks (see: eu_aspect field in the wbc entity usage table of the Wikibase schema);
- for Commons, we extend the definition to encompass the following namespaces: 0, 6 ,14.
The dashboard relies on the following two components:
- the back-end update engine, WD_percentUsage_PRODUCTION.R, an R script running on regular daily update from stat1004;
- this script relies on the extraction of Wikidata re-use statistics from the wdcm_clients_wb_entity_usage table (by orchestrating a HiveQL call from within an R environment) produced in the data generation process from the Big Data component of the Wikidata Concepts Monitor system;
- the re-use data, identifying the page IDs of those pages that make use of Wikidata, are compared against page IDs on the per project basis to determine how many pages use Wikidata in any particular WMF project;
- the results are published daily on https://analytics.wikimedia.org/datasets/wdUsagePercentArticle/ (wdUsage_ProjectStatistics.csv) and used on the front-end.
- the front-end (ui.R, server.R), relying on a simple RStudio Shiny page to present the results and visualizations.
The dashboard provides:
- a table encompassing Wikidata usage statistics, in particular:
- the project (e.g. enwiki, itwikivoyage),
- total number of articles in the respective project,
- number of articles that make use of Wikidata (c.f. the definition given above),
- percent of articles that make use of Wikidata, and
- project type (e.g. Wikipedia, Wikivoyage, Wikiquote, etc).
- several visualizations to help get a glimpse of a big picture:
- the distribution of Wikidata usage across project types (e.g. Wikipedia, Wikivoyage, Wikiquote, etc),
- the top 20 WMF projects in terms of the absolute number of pages using Wikidata, and
- the top 20 WMF projects in terms of the percent of pages within the project making use of Wikidata.