You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The primary site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
|WIP - See phab:T292811 about trying to merge the four pages Help:Cloud Services Introduction, Help:At a glance: Cloud VPS and Toolforge, Help:Getting Started, User:SRodlund/servicedecisions (staging) potentially into one page.|
|wmflabs.org and wmcloud.org redirect here. You might be looking for the Lists of Toolforge tools or the List of Cloud VPS projects.|
Wikimedia Cloud Services (WMCS) provides tools, services, and support for technical collaborators who want to contribute to Wikimedia software projects.
It is available for use by anyone connected with the Wikimedia movement without charge. Support and administration of the WMCS resources is provided by the Wikimedia Foundation Cloud Services team and Wikimedia movement volunteers.
Find out more:
- 🎬 Video: Wikimedia Cloud Services introduction (2019)
- 📣 Slides: An introduction to Cloud Services presentation (2019)
(TODO) Examples of what you can do by running software on Cloud Services include:
- Build a tool that suggests wiki pages that need editing/maintenance
- Find out which articles on a Wikipedia mention cats
Decide which service is best for your needs.
TODO: Describe what these four things are:
Which service is right for you?
|Activity / Needs||Quarry (DaaS)||PAWS (DaaS)||Toolforge (PaaS)||Cloud VPS (IaaS)|
|Write queries against replica databases||✔||✔||✔|
|Run database dumps||✔||✔|
|Write and run bots||✔||✔|
|Build tools to improve Wikimedia projects||✔|
|Schedule or run continuous jobs||✔|
|Administrate your own virtual server||✔|
|Need your own subdomain||✔|
|Write documentation and create tutorials||✔|
|Work with co-maintainers and co-admins||✔||✔|
|Service concept||Data as a service||Data as a service||Platform as a service||Infrastructure as a service|
Make sure to review and agree to our terms and conditions. Account Holders who plan to use WMCS resources and products must read and agree to the following:
- Code of Conduct for technical spaces
- Agreement to disclosure of personally identifiable information (which covers End-Users).
Please pay close attention to the following terms for Toolforge and Cloud VPS:
- Toolforge tools must be open source software licensed under an OSI approved license.
Set up your accounts
- Wikimedia account — this is the single user login (SUL) account you use to contribute to Wikipedia and its sister projects. When you create your Wikimedia account, you will create a username and password.
- Wikimedia developer account — this account is used to log into this wiki, Toolforge, Cloud VPS, Gerrit (our code review system for patches) and other protected Wikimedia Services. When you create your Wikimedia developer account, you will create a username (sometimes called LDAP username), UNIX shell username, and password.
- Note that while GitHub contains many of our public repos, you can only make pull requests for Cloud Services projects via Gerrit. Other wiki projects may use GitHub exclusively.
- Gerrit: Once you have set up the two accounts above, including your UNIX shell username, set up your SSH keys in Gerrit.
TODO: The ability to access instances in the Cloud VPS environment.
Communication and support
We communicate and provide support through several primary channels. Please reach out with questions and to join the conversation.
(TODO: Taken from Help:Cloud Services communication)
- Toolforge Portal — Information about Toolforge and links to help and technical documentation.
- Cloud VPS Portal — Information about Cloud VPS and links to help and technical documentation.
- Data Services Portal — Information about Data Services and links to help and technical documentation.
- Some terms are specific to Toolforge and Cloud VPS. See the Glossary for detailed definitions.
From 2011 until early 2017, Wikimedia Cloud Services was known as Wikimedia Labs. However, the term Labs was used for several different things.
Since 2017, the former Wikimedia Foundation Labs team and Tool Labs Support team merged into the Wikimedia Cloud Services team.