You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
This is an overview of terminology used in technical documentation for Wikimedia Foundation infrastructure and software.
This list is meant to be a reference point for the canonical or preferred words to convey a certain concept. Avoid listing older or less common words for the same concepts.
- cluster is group of servers with a common purpose. For example: "text" Varnish cluster, "jobrunner" appserver cluster. Note that a cluster may span multiple DCs.
- data center (abbreviated DC), is a physical location in which server racks reside. For example: Esams data center as listed on Data centers. This includes both core services and cache PoPs.
- Help:Glossary, for terms used within Wikimedia Cloud Services.
- Glossary on Meta-Wiki, for terms used within the wider Wikimedia movement.
- Manual:Glossary on mediawiki.org, for terms used within the MediaWiki software.
- Documentation/Style guide on mediawiki.org, about technical documentation more broadly.