You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search
search.wikimedia.org holds a web service for running title prefix searches for Apple's Dictionary application in Mac OS X 10.5.
- Apache+PHP+json extension
- docroot/search.wikimedia.org source code
- This is a simple PHP script that sends requests to the OpenSearch API of the target wiki and returns HTML-formatted results in the microformat that Apple Dictionary expects.
- Production use began October 2007 with release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
- Switched to OpenSearch backend in January 2008 to resolve performance and updating issues
- Apple's client sends all queries as lowercase, so this requires a case-insensitive OpenSearch suggest backend. Currently this is provided using the TitleKey extension to MediaWiki.
How to recover in a hurry
- Set up an Apache+PHP box serving search.wikimedia.org
- PHP's json extension required
- Install index.php in the document root.