You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 23:27, 30 January 2008 by
This currently holds a web service running title prefix searches for Apple's Dictionary application in Mac OS X 10.5.
- Apache+PHP+json extension
- apple-dictionary front-end web service
- This is a short PHP script which sends requests to our OpenSearch suggest web service and returns HTML-formatted results in the microformat that Apple's tool expects.
- Production use began October 2007 with release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
- Switched to OpenSearch backend in January 2008 to resolve performance and updating issues
- Apple's client sends all queries as lowercase, so this requires a case-insensitive OpenSearch suggest backend. Currently this is provided using the TitleKey extension to MediaWiki.
How to recover in a hurry
- set up an Apache+PHP box serving search.wikimedia.org
- PHP's json extension required
- install apple-dictionary/index.php in the document root