You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 22:37, 4 April 2016 by (this still exists, but IIRC it's implemented differently, and yongle is no longer around (it was in tampa))
This page may be outdated or contain incorrect details. Please update it if you can.
search.wikimedia.org holds a web service for running title prefix searches for Apple's Dictionary application in Mac OS X 10.5.
- Apache+PHP+json extension
- docroot/search.wikimedia.org source code
- This is a simple PHP script that sends requests to the OpenSearch API of the target wiki and returns HTML-formatted results in the microformat that Apple Dictionary expects.
- Production use began October 2007 with release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
- Switched to OpenSearch backend in January 2008 to resolve performance and updating issues
- Apple's client sends all queries as lowercase, so this requires a case-insensitive OpenSearch suggest backend. Currently this is provided using the TitleKey extension to MediaWiki.
How to recover in a hurry
- Set up an Apache+PHP box serving search.wikimedia.org
- PHP's json extension required
- Install index.php in the document root.