You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The primary site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
Error / Incident
All the cloudnet nodes are down in the system.
Cloudnet nodes are the ones acting as routers and setup networks for the virtual machines.
When they go down all the VMs stop having network access and new VMs are unable to boot correctly.
This might be the result of an ongoing intervention gone wrong, so first try to communicate with the rest of the team and look for any ongoing actions:
- Ask on irc (#wikimedia-cloud-admin) if someone is taking any action and forgot about it
- Check SAL (or here) for host being rebooted/taken down
- Check Netbox to make sure the host is not being decommed or network changes were not applied
- Check puppet for recent changes that might have affected the node
Then you can continue trying to figure out why the hosts are going down and not coming back up:
- Try to ssh to the host
- Try to ssh to the management port (see SRE/Dc-operations/Hardware_Troubleshooting_Runbook)
Might be interesting also to run the network tests:
Add here any issues you encounter.
- SAL (or here).
- Puppet merged changes
Communication and support
Support and administration of the WMCS resources is provided by the Wikimedia Foundation Cloud Services team and Wikimedia Movement volunteers. Please reach out with questions and join the conversation:
Provide a list of phabricator tasks of previous incidents to be able to more review previous instances of the issue.