You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
Wikimedia Cloud documentationThis is a documentation page for Wikimedia Cloud. If you can improve it, please do that. You can also request help on #wikimedia-cloud connect. For all documentation pages, please see the List of all documentation pages for Wikimedia Cloud. If you are seeking a help with a specific project, please contact the project owners.
There are two reasons why web pages cannot be served by a default Labs instance:
- Instances are closed off from outside networks with a firewall. You must open holes in the firewall by editing the security groups for your project.
- Instances are assigned private IP addresses that are only visible from within labs. This can be addressed by assigning your instance a public IP or by creating a web proxy.
This page describes how to create a simple web proxy for an instance.
Important: Make sure you have set up your security groups properly before attempting to create a web proxy.
Creating a web proxy
You must be a projectadmin of the project that contains the instance you wish to proxy.
- In the left menu, open the “Labs Projectadmins” section.
- Click on “Manage Web Proxies”.
- For the project containing your instance, click on the “Create proxy” link
- In the "DNS hostname" field, enter the hostname that you wish to have as the publicly-visible name for your instance. Important: Enter just the hostname (e.g. 'webtastic'), not the fully qualified name (e.g. 'webtastic.wmflabs.org').
- Specify the domain for your instance using the “DNS domain” menu. If you want a domain that is not already present in the menu, a Labs Cloudadmin (most likely a staff member) will need to create it for you.
- Select the instance that you're creating a proxy for in the “Instance” menu
- Leave the “Instance Port” set to 80. You almost certainly don't want to change this!
- Click “Submit”.
If all goes well, you will see two separate confirmation messages -- one indicating that the new proxy name has been associated with our proxy host, and one indicating that the proxy itself has been configured.
Important: DNS changes are gradual. After you create a new proxy, it will typically not become visible to outside browsers for 30 to 60 minutes.
Deleting a web proxy
Once your instance is no longer in use, please clean up after yourself by clicking the “delete” link next to your unused proxy entry.