You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The primary site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
Help:Cloud Services Introduction
WMCS project overview
What is Wikimedia Cloud Services (WMCS)?
WMCS products and resources are available for use by anyone connected with the Wikimedia movement. Support and administration of the WMCS resources is provided by a Wikimedia Foundation Cloud Services team and Wikimedia movement volunteers.
From 2011 until early 2017, WMCS was known as "Wikimedia Labs." The term 'Labs' was used to refer to a number of different components, and clarification was required. In 2017, the project was reorganized. The former Wikimedia Foundation Labs team and the Tool Labs Support team joined together to create the Wikimedia Cloud Services team.
|VPS||Cloud VPS||Provides collaboratively owned collections of virtual private servers where users develop and maintain software projects that help the Wikimedia movement.||Use this to run full virtual instances.||You are willing to administer instances on your own. We can provide quota to do so.|
|PaaS||Toolforge||Provides a shared hosting/platform as a service environment for running bots, webservices, scheduled jobs, and data analysis.||Run a specific webservice, scheduled job, or perform analysis.||You do not want to or are not able to manage a full virtual environment.|
|DaaS||Data Services||A collection of products including private-information-redacted copies of Wikimedia's production wiki databases and access to Wikimedia Dumps.||Create replicas of the production databases and other data for analysis and experimentation.||The Quarry service provides database access via a web interface. Some DaaS resources may need to be requested for specific VPS projects.|
Renaming of products
Efforts are underway to improve the language and branding surrounding the products and services we offer.
Working titles are now in use across some documentation, but you may still encounter legacy names and branding.
- Toolforge tools must be open source software licensed under an OSI approved license.
Joining and participating
Read our Getting Started guide for detailed information on creating accounts and becoming active in our projects.
Support and administration
Wikimedia Cloud Services are a joint effort between Wikimedia Foundation staff and many dedicated volunteers:
- Wikimedia Cloud Services team
- Wikimedia Technical Operations
- Community Liaisons
- Toolforge standards committee
- Phabricator participants
- Cloud VPS project maintainers
- Toolforge tool maintainers
- and many more people who help by creating and maintaining documentation on this wiki and others in the Wikimedia movement
- Read our glossary of terminology
- Browse existing VPS projects using OpenStack Browser.
- Project administration is done through the OpenStack dashboard known as Horizon.
- Toolforge (Tools) has a homepage and a directory of Tools
- Other explanations
- Introducing the Cloud Services Team: What we do, and how we can help you blog entry (September 2017)
- What is Wikimedia Cloud Services? presentation slides (12 pages)
- Video presentation: Introduction to Wikimedia Cloud Services, at Wikimania 2017 (56 minutes)