You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
Part of the DNS records and IP allocations are or will soon be automatically generated from data that resides in Netbox.
- IP allocation is done on Netbox.
- Netbox data is exported via Netbox#DNS.
- Netbox data is checked out on the authoritative DNS servers in
- When compiling the
gdnsdfinal zones, the Netbox data is copied into
/etc/gdnsd/zones/netboxfor later inclusion.
- In the actual zonefiles, within an
$ORIGIN, the related snippet file is included using the
The migration to the automated system requires that we move the allocation of IPs to Netbox that will gradually become the authoritative source of truth for IPAM.
- [Wednesday June 24th 2020 10am UTC] All the management IP address allocation will be performed in Netbox from now on. Either via the Add interfaces and IPs to devices Netbox script for provisioning new devices or manually via the Add an IP Address button in the IP Addresses tab of any IP Prefix that will assign the first available IP in that subnet. The Offline a device with extra actions Netbox script takes instead care of the removal of interfaces and IPs when setting a device offline.
- [TBD] All the primary IPv4 and IPv6 address allocation will be performed in Netbox from now on.
DNS records involved
- Management forward (
A) and reverse (
PTR) records for both the hostname (
foo.mgmt.eqiad.wmnet) and the asset tag (
- Primary IPv4 (
A) and IPv6 (
AAAA) and related reverse (
PTR) records for the hostname (
To be migrated
Update generated records
To update the dynamically generated records based on the current Netbox data and deploy them to all the authoritative DNS servers, the
sre.dns.netbox cookbook must be run. See also Cookbooks#Cookbook_Operations. For example:
sudo cookbook sre.dns.netbox -t T12345 "Add newly racked cp hosts in eqiad"
Convert an hardcoded $ORIGIN to Netbox
This is an example patch to convert an hardcoded
$ORIGIN to the dynamically generated data.
The records involved in the transition from hardcoded records to the Netbox driven ones and the order of the transition is listed above, see the To be migrated section.
Here's an example patch of the transition of management records for
The changes in procedure are outlined in the Server_Lifecycle/DNS_Transition page.