You are browsing a read-only backup copy of Wikitech. The live site can be found at wikitech.wikimedia.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search
How does it work?
How to deploy a new service?
- Assign an IP in DNS, from the 10.3.0.0/24 range - (eg. Gerrit CR 524045)
- Configure the server side (eg. Gerrit CR 524037)
include ::profile::bird::anycastwhere you see fit (usually to the service's role)
- Configure the VIP and its attributes (usually
profile::bird::advertise_vips: <vip_fqdn>: address: 10.3.x.x # VIP to advertise (required) check_cmd: '/bin/true' # Any command to check the healh of the service, ran as user "bird" (required) ensure: present # Set to absent to cleanly remove the check (optional, present by default) bfd: true # Fast failure detection between router and server (Optional, true by default) profile::bird::bind_service: 'foobar.service' # Stop bird if linked service goes down (optional, none by default)
- The check_cmd needs to run in less than 1s (check interval)
- Configure the router side:
set protocols bgp group Anycast4 neighbor <server_IP>
- Add monitoring to the VIP, similar to any Icinga checks, but in modules/profile/manifests/bird/anycast_monitoring.pp
- (Optional) if deploying a new type of service, ask Netops to add a backup static route